Friday, May 13, 2011

Taking Your Own Measurements > Using a Scale

Ditch your scale. Forget it exists.
I suggest taking your measurements once a month instead of doing weekly weigh ins.
Why?
Your body weight fluctuates so much on a day to day basis based on many factors like what you’ve eaten, water retention, if you’ve recently gained muscle, if you’ve been sick, etc. Really, almost anything can affect the numbers on the scale.

If you weigh yourself on a daily basis, you’re going to get artificial results. You may see that you lost 5 pounds, only to find out the next day that you gained 7 more in their place. The scale is nothing but a tool for making you feel discouraged, in my opinion. I know that when I weigh am dieting & exercising, I get the urge to weigh myself every single day. It’s hard to control that urge but I know it’s for the best. I decided that instead of weighing myself compulsively, maybe I would just wait and see if my clothes started fitting differently. That’s another solution, but it won’t give you much to go on for your before & after story!  The clear solution was taking measurements.

Have you ever taken your measurements? I never had bothered before, but a few weeks back I decided it could be a really great way to find out what kind of results I am getting, much better than any scale could. Sure, a scale gives you numbers and says what you’ve lost, but it won’t tell you WHERE the weight has disappeared from. Measuring yourself will! I can’t think of any better motivator than to realize I lost an inch or two from my waist, hips, or thigh.  News like that would make me go through the roof with excitement!

How do I measure myself?
-          I suggest measuring yourself only once a month, not any more than that.
-          Always take measurements FIRST THING in the morning.
-          If you’re a woman there is one important thing you need to remember: DO NOT measure yourself before, after, or during your period. If you can give yourself at least a 10 days before it begins or 10 days after your period has ended, that would be best.

Bust: You want to wrap it all the way around your back and bring it forward so it is perfectly in line with your nipples. Be sure not to hold your breath or inhale during this time. Do not pull the tape tight, also try to make sure it’s not too loose.
Chest: Bring the tape around so it comes just below your bustline.
Waist: Measure the smallest part of your torso, even if it’s not perfectly in line with were your belly button is. We are all shaped differently.
Hips: The tape should wrap around the widest part of your hips and the fullest part of your    backside.
Thighs: Find the thickest part of your thigh and measure.
Calves: Find the thickest part of your calves and measure.
Upper arm: Wrap the tape around the largest part of your arm.
Forearm: Wrap the tape around the largest part of your arm from the elbow down.


It’s as simple as that! Your results will be much more satisfying this way because you will know what areas you need to target and work harder on for the next month. I know that there's no such thing as spot fat removal, but you CAN tone up the areas that need work. You need to include a lot of cardio & a good diet to achieve results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always reply to my comments so make sure you check back for my response!