Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Losing weight with PCOS

For those of you who don't know what PCOS is, let me tell you. "Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition in which there is an imbalance of a woman's female sex hormones. This hormone imbalance may cause changes in the menstrual cycle, skin changes, small cysts in the ovaries, trouble getting pregnant, and other problems." taken from the link above.

I never really knew until today that it is believed to be much more difficult for women who suffer from PCOS to lose weight than it is for other people. In fact, about half of the women diagnosed with PCOS are obese.

It's nice to know that the cards are stacked in my favor for losing weight. Not.

If you have PCOS, a change of even just 10% of your body weight is said to bring your period back to normal. Maybe losing 24 pounds is why I am getting my period again? If you are suffering from PCOS and are able to lose weight, it's best to keep right on trying. The exercise is good for you & it helps reduce other symptoms.

It's suggested that you follow a diet consisting of mostly fruits & veggies, lean protein, and whole grains. Baking & broiling food is the preferred method - avoid frying. Butter should be used sparingly. It also doesn't hurt to eliminate as much as much simple sugars as you possibly can.


Sounds an awful lot like following a regular, healthy diet, doesn't it?

There are a few other things to be prepared to do if you are tyring to lose weight while dealing with PCOS. Eat a healthy diet like the one mentioned above, get plenty of sleep, be as active as possible, and quit smoking. I have done all of these things.

In addition to that, I'm reading about this medication that is usually used to treat diabetics. Women with PCOS tend to have insulin resistance, which can cause them to have issues with their weight. The drug is called Metformin & it seems to have pretty good reviews & many women have positive things to say about it. If I am ever lucky enough to have health insurance, I might look into this.

Do you suffer from PCOS?


2 comments:

  1. Ive always been worried about PCOS but I dont have it, When I stepped on my scale and it said 307 I went- no shit, that is not where I wanted to be at 19. So I am changing it, I have always been worried about it though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Experts aren't sure if excessive weight leads to PCOS or if it's just a symptom. The 2 are definitely related though. Good luck losing! You can do it :)

    ReplyDelete

I always reply to my comments so make sure you check back for my response!