Monday, June 6, 2011

Should I exercise when I am sick?

I have been doing really well lately with exercising as you know. I make sure to do at least one thing, even if it's just the 30 Day Shred every single day. Most days I swim, walk, use the Nordic Track, and a few dvd's. This weekend was different. I came down with my first cold in months. It hit me really hard & sucked all my energy & motivation away immediately.

I skipped exercise on Sunday without even realizing it because I was so tired. I went to bed & woke up coughing and decided I should do something... So at 2am I did the 30DS & a walking DVD. Ended up waling 4 miles at 2 or 3am, haha. That's dedication! The problem is, today I feel even worse. So what should I do? Take a day off & rest? Or try and sweat it out? I did some research & the results were interesting.

A good thing to remember is this: if you have a fever, stay away from exercise! Wait until your temperature has returned to normal.Got chills? Don't exercise that day!

Another thing to remember is that if your symptoms are all above the neck, like with a runny nose or a sore throat - you're good to go. Do what you are comfortable doing, but don't push yourself by any means. If you feel you must exercise, be sure to take it very easy & limit the intensity of your workout. On the other hand, if your symptoms are below the neck, like a cough or tightness in your chest or an upset stomach - take the day off.

Considering I have a bad cough combined with nasal congestion & a sore throat, I am going to try and take the day off. I already walked 4 miles this morning, but that is going to be it for me. No workout DVD's at all until I am feeling better.

Bummer.

Anyway, just for the hell of it, here's a list of things that may help you feel better faster!

1. Take vitamin C and Echinacea EVERY DAY. Not just when you're sick, but on a daily basis. They help keep your immune system strong!
2. Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water and maybe even some tea if you've got it.
3. Take a hot shower or sit in the bathroom with the water on as hot as it can go and breathe in the steam. Also, humidifiers are great.
4. Avoid dairy products if you have a sore throat. They will only make it worse.
5. Rest as much as possible! Seriously, this is a great excuse to just lay down in bed all day and watch movies and take cat naps. That's how I'm planning on spending the rest of my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always reply to my comments so make sure you check back for my response!